Farmer Brothers has an exciting opportunity for a District Sales Manager (DSM). This role will carry responsible for providing direct revenue generation and overseeing a team of Route Sales Representatives (RSRs) that sell, service, and deliver coffee, tea, and related products to our customers. The direct revenue growth will be for the assigned geography by: securing new customers; growing the base business; retaining existing customers; and executing pricing actions. This role ensures Farmer Brothers Route Management Process is executed and that our customers receive great service. The DSM is responsible for managing budgets to plan and growing operating income for the branch.
Coaching/Training RSRs and Selling Base Customers (40%).
The DSM is responsible for increasing sales with our current customers. To accomplish this, he/she will be working on route with our RSRs (2) days per week.
While on these Coaching Days, the DSM will reinforce Farmer Brothers route management and customer call process (The Farmer Brothers Way to Sell), ensuring our customers receive great service.
During these customer visits, the DSM will upsell exiting customers and close category and product distribution voids.
At the end of each Coaching Day, the DSM will provide verbal and written feedback (via the FB Way Scorecard) to the RSR documenting the day, and providing feedback.
Gain New Customers (20%).
The DSM is responsible for identifying potential new customers within his/her service geography, and gaining their business and building route density. The DSM will also act on any leads provided via the Lead Generation Program, following the process from lead to close. The DSM will also help identify/assign new business leads to the RSR’s using knowledge of the local market or a program sales aid, such as FLHIP. Progress against these leads to be followed up weekly during one on one meetings.
Retain and Grow our Business with Assigned Customers (10%).
The DSM is responsible for maintaining direct relationships with the Top 20 street accounts within the geography. The DSM will develop a Key Account Plan for these accounts, outlining how he/she will grow the business. The DSM will schedule customer business reviews a minimum of twice annually. This review will include any business updates (e.g. sales growth vs. PY), share industry trends, penetration opportunities, risk assessment and a thorough inspection of equipment and POS.
Planning, Administration, and Customer Follow Up (30%).
Each week, the DSM will prepare and lead a planning meeting to discuss key activities for the upcoming week with RSRs, review selling objectives, progress vs. plan, and other Route KPIs. The DSM will execute daily check-ins with the RSRs to ensure all planned stops were delivered, discuss any customer issues, and provides updates on weekly priorities. The DSM will follow up with customers as needed to resolve issues quickly and drive customer satisfaction. The DSM will ensure compliance to company policies (e.g. Safety) and ensure assigned administrative duties (e.g. DOT compliance) are carried out in a timel
• High School diploma or equivalent.
• 5-7 years working experience in a related customer service business-to-business field.
• Previous supervisory experience and/or demonstrated leadership skills.
• Proficient in assessing customer needs.
• Ability to lift 75 lbs frequently and 100 lbs occasionally.
• Ability to lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Possess a valid driver's license and a safe driving record.
• Must comply with State and Federal mandated requirements of controlled substances & alcohol testing.
• Must be knowledgeable about and understand current Department of Transportation regulations.
• Able to work independently with little supervision.
• Able to make decisions with high level of confidence.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with multi-functional groups/personnel within an organization.
• Well-developed interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
• Must possess strong PC skills including spreadsheet and word processing software.
• Provides timely feedback and coaching for direct reports
• Supports other team members and contributes to the team
• Establishes high standards of performance for self and others
• Able to take broad thinking around business issues and apply to company strategies
• Strives for continuous improvement
• Generates original, creative ideas to improve processes
• Express ideas clearly and logically